Four finalists: great listening combined with savvy marketing – the criteria for APA’s Audiobook of the Year. You can read the whole list of Audies nominees in this post
- 28 categories! But Audiobook of the Year is the highest honor, and the APA just released the titles vying for the top prize – here’s the press release:
The Audio Publishers Association (APA) has announced four Audie Award finalists for Audiobook of the Year and four finalists for the Distinguished Achievement in Production. The winners of these prestigious awards will be announced at the Audie Awards® Gala on May 30th, 2013, at the New-York Historical Society in New York City.
The four titles competing for Audiobook of the Year are:
• American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen and Garden, by Michelle Obama, Narrated by
Michelle Obama, Jim Adams, Charlie Brandts, Christeta Comerford, Sam Kass, Bill Yosses, and a full
cast, Random House Audio.
• Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walter, Narrated by Edoardo Ballerini, HarperAudio.
• The End of the Affair, by Graham Greene, Narrated by Colin Firth, Audible, Inc.
• Killing Kennedy, by Bill O’Reilly, Narrated by Bill O’Reilly, Macmillan Audio.
All four titles are distinguished by excellence in production as well as their ability to create new interest in the audiobook format through creative and innovative marketing. The jury tasked with judging this category commented that this year’s Audiobook of the Year finalists each found new audiences for audiobooks while presenting a unique listening experience and the promise of a long listening life.
Ellen Myrick, Audies Judging Chair, says, “This year’s finalists demonstrate the diversity and passion that is at the heart of the audiobook community. In this year’s finalists for Distinguished Achievement in Production and Audiobook of the Year, there truly is something for everyone – whether you want to understand our country better, gain a new appreciation for classic literature, dive into the lives of fascinating people, or simply enjoy superlative fiction. It’s a great time to be an audiobook fan. It’s an even better time to discover the pleasure of audiobooks for yourself.”