By October 24, 2007 8 Comments Read More →

It's Not The Road, That's For Sure

From the AP (“Complaint puts Texas teacher on leave,” by Angela K. Brown):

TUSCOLA, Texas – A popular English teacher has been placed on paid leave – and faces possible criminal charges – after a student’s parents complained to police that a ninth-grade class reading list contained a book about a murderer who has sex with his victims’ bodies.

Kaleb Tierce, 25, is being investigated for allegedly distributing harmful material to a minor after the student selected Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Cormac McCarthy‘s “Child of God” off the list and read it.

The bad news is that Tierce was placed on leave and may face criminal charges. The good news is that parents and students seem to be supporting him. The surprising part is that he’s also a football coach.

Comments

comments

Keir Graff is the editor of Booklist Online and the author of five books. His most recent is the middle-grade novel, The Other Felix.

8 Comments on "It's Not The Road, That's For Sure"

1. jody@steelwhitetable.org' jody says:

> The surprising part is that he’s also a football coach.

Why is that surprising?

2. Keir says:

Your high-school experience may have been different from mine, Jody. I hope football coaches everywhere are as literarily adventurous as Mr. Tierce.

3. acebets@aol.com' Frank says:

Did he play Zevon’s “Excitable Boy” during free reading time?

4. jody@steelwhitetable.org' jody says:

I never met a football coach (nor do I know any), so I can’t say either way. Hell, I don’t even like football. I just thought your comment seemed to be enforcing a stereotype, which I guessing a lot of sport fans may not appreciate (especially the bibliophiles).

Respectfully,

jc

5. Keir says:

Well, it may come across as a cheap shot, although that’s not what I intended. (Most stereotypes spring from a grain of truth–the question is whether we’re unfairly promoting a stereotype; should we ignore stereotypes if they’re generally true? I’m not sure.)

What I liked about the story was that Tierce seemed to me to be breaking a stereotype that I’ve had some experience with (albeit long ago, in school days). So in cheering him I may have offended others? Possibly. Let the lit-loving football coaches of the land prove me wrong. I’d love it.

Thanks for writing, Jody!

6. jody@steelwhitetable.org' jody says:

I can understand your point, especially given your experience with it. I suppose I brought it up because it’s something I’m aware of but never experienced.

On an unrelated note: I appreciate your blog; I’m a regular reader!

Cheers,

jc

7. A ninth grader reading Cormac McCarthy? Where’s the parade?

8. Keir says:

Jody, I appreciate your comments, even if I don’t always respond in a timely fashion.

I appreciate yours, too, Frank and Marian (if that IS your real name).